Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Multigrain Bread in the bread machine

From my Joy of Cooking cookbook. Soooo good. My family downed this. I think Billy ate half the loaf himself. It makes super tasty toast.

Follow your bread machine's instructions for the order of putting the ingredients in. Mine calls for liquid first, then dry ingredients, then yeast.

3/4 c. plus 2 T. water
1 T. butter or margarine, softened
2 T. honey
1 T. grated orange zest
1 1/2 c. bread flour
1/4 c. whole-wheat flour (I use white wheat)
2 T quick-cooking or old-fashioned rolled oats
2 T. cornmeal or polenta
2 T. nonfat dry milk
1 t. salt
2 t. active dry yeast or 1 1/4 t. quick-rise yeast

Process on the bread cycle. After 10 minutes of kneading or when the beeper sounds, add:
1/2 c. hulled sunflower seeds


*Substitutions:
May substitute sesame, flax, or hulled pumpkin seeds for the sunflower seeds (I used flax seeds)
Mat substitute soy, rye, and quinoa flour for the cornmeal or oats.

No comments: