Saturday, May 16, 2009

Baked Beans with Pineapple

We BBQed tonight and I tried this new recipe as a side. The original recipe was for 25 servings! So, I scaled it down a bit, and in the process, some of the proportions are a little different. Also, I modified it slightly to make it just a little healthier.

It was very, very yummy and pretty simple to make. I'll definitely be keeping this recipe handy for BBQs and potlucks. :)

You can find the original recipe here. But, this is what I did...

Baked Beans with Pineapple

5 or 6 strips of turkey bacon, chopped
½ medium onion, chopped
28oz can baked beans (I used Van Camp’s Homestyle baked beans – 99% fat free and cholesterol free)
8 oz crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup

In a skillet, cook turkey bacon over medium heat until almost crisp. Add onion and saute until tender.

In a bowl, combine the beans, pineapple, bacon and onion. Combine brown sugar and ketchup; stir into the bean mixture.

Transfer to a greased baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-35 minutes longer or until bubbly and beans reach desired thickness.

No comments: