Friday, May 8, 2009

Pineapple Banana Bread

Pineapple Banana Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (The recipe called for 2 cups but that just seemed like a lot; I reduced it to 1 1/2 cups and it was just right - I think if I had done the whole 2 cups, it would have been way too sweet.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs (I used egg substitute)
1 1/4 applesauce (it called for oil but I used applesauce and it turned out moist and yummy - plus more healthy)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups mashed ripe bananas

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla; add pineapple and bananas. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.


***I doubled the recipe because I had several bananas (not quite 4 cups but I used a 20 oz can of pineapple instead of two 8 oz cans to make up the difference), it made two loaves, plus 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins. (I baked the muffins for about 25 minutes and the mini muffins for about 15 minutes.) They are a big hit with the family - the kids won't stay away from them! :)

No comments: